Skip to main content

Silence

Today, I have been thinking about silence in relationship to peace. There is a tendency to think that silence, since it reminds us of the quiet of nature, is always a good thing, but is it? I tend to think of silence that way myself--the quiet space inside oneself. It is very much a part of the next thing that I wish to post to this website.

But, silence has its limitations. There is also the silence that does not speak the truth to save another, when one could make a difference or even the silence that suppresses truth or wishes to control another or not hear the truth, as in the silencing of another or a group for personal gains. Today, I thought about the fact that not all silence is peaceful.

We would not allow a child to stick their hand in a fire. Who would sit silently and do that with a child? Yet, with the fellow humans around us, how often to we choose silence. Most of us know the Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Whether or not one even believes that there is a God, from one's integrity we can know the value of these words--these words that sometimes are so hard to follow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Suddenly Snow

(To the left is a frost photo by Lida--see more below) (This graphic to the left is public domain, and I thought appropriate to winter's long awaited face this year.) I was looking learily out the window at the falling rain which promised a frozen sheet of glass to come. Nudged to go to the window seats and have a look, I found that frozen puddles already lined the sidewalk and the trees were covered in icicles that, though beautiful, had ominous predictions about the condition of the roads. My knee bandaged from a recent sprain, I decided this was a day to stay home. I returned to my seat in front of the computer and was sitting there for no more then five minutes, when I turned my head to find heavy flakes of snow pouring down from the sky. The trees and sidewalk were already covered with the snows illuminating whiteness, and it brought a lightness to the room that had been deprived by several days of gray skies. It amazed me how quickly all was covered in white, and it ...

Constantine and Reincarnation

Just to give you more of an understanding of the manipulations of the Christian religion by Constantine. The rulings during the time of Constantine not only took the cross to the battlefield, from then forward, as the symbol of Christianity, he also was responsible for things like nullifying any thoughts and discussions by Christian domain about the significance of reincarnation, as many places in the bible point to, solidified doctrines that made Christians believe that they were separate from God and must follow in a certain manner or they were heretics and doomed to hell, and bridged the thinking that Jesus was the only son of God. All of this done by one man's fanatical need for control and threats of ostracism and death, starting with a mystical vision that he interpreted literally. Have things changed so much in our present age? If you want to read about reincarnation in the Bible and how this all came about there are excellent articles at: http://reluctant-messenger.com/...

Truth Or Consequencies

I wrote this essay as a comment to articles on the following site: http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/archives/2007/02/ One might not think so, but there is a relationship, between trans fat, global warming and the drunk driving issue. Unfortunately, I think that the problem has to do with education. These days in school, we are so afraid to step on someone's toes, so we avoid teaching morals in school, and why should we? Are you shocked? Read further. It has always seemed quite interesting to me that no one can come up with a simple means to start teaching community, integrity, self responsibility and the like to young children from their very first textbooks. I don't see that the word God has to be in there or in order to do that. All great religions teach a core of values that cross borders. There are values that are there in the constitution and the creation of America . By the way, a constitution created by people (whether or not you want to call it a dem...